Assistant to the Curator
Wage: $19.50/hr for 30 hrs/wk
Job Type and Duration: Part-time, Contract (6 months September 5, 2022 to March 3, 2022)
Job Location: Hutchison House Museum (270 Brock St. Peterborough, ON, K9H 2P9)
Hutchison House Museum is looking for a professional, creative, and detail-oriented Assistant to the Curator/Manager (Assistant) The Assistant will assist the Curator/Manager to develop educational programs and exhibits that align with the museum’s mandate, connect to learning objectives outlined in the provincial curriculum and highlight artifacts from the museum’s collection.
The Assistant will
- update and develop content for the Peterborough Historical Society and Hutchison House website and social media channels.
- utilize a range of technologies, and consider the needs of various audiences, to develop flexible and engaging educational offerings.
- Assist in the development of multimedia presentations, hand-on activities, guided tours, planning and budgeting programs and demonstrations of historical processes,
- be responsible for scheduling and booking programs,
- assist in the recruitment, scheduling, and training of volunteers,
- aid with general correspondence and office work.
- assist with various curatorial duties including cataloguing, exhibit development, condition reports, inventory, and collection maintenance.
The position offers part-time employment at 30 hours a week between September 26, 2022 and March 31, 2023 (Monday to Friday 9:00 am to 5:00pm- with exceptions as hours change seasonally).
Job Responsibilities also include:
- Responsible for training and supervising volunteers
- Assist with the scheduling, development, research, and installation of temporary exhibits
- Assists in maintaining the integrity of the Hutchison House Museum collection and artifacts
- Provides input into and arranges for advertising for Hutchison House Museum programs (Media Releases, Peterborough This Week, Linked Magazine, Cottage Magazine, etc.)
- Provides tours of the museum both in and out of costume for visitors
- Assist with School Programs- both in person and virtual.
Planning, budgeting and reporting
- Assists in the development of a three-year plan for programs, events and exhibits to be delivered to the public
- Assists with the preparation of the Museum’s annual workplan, budget forecasting and project plan development
- Maintains and updates the website and associated social media platforms for the Peterborough Historical Society and Hutchison House Museum.
- Assists in gathering data and information to support the preparation of the annual report and any other required reports and presentations. Organizes, prepares for and attends meetings, as required
- Provides input into the development of program scheduling, including timing, resources, and staffing requirements
- Post-Secondary school degree in Museology/ Museum Studies
- Experience in
- museum-related work
- working with volunteers.
- museum interpretation.
- handling and caring for artefacts.
- exhibit design and installation.
- museum or education related programming for adults and children an asset.
- With a variety of digital tools, as well as Microsoft Office, Canva, WordPress and FileMaker Pro
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Must be a self-starter and able to work independently as well as in a team setting.
- Current police check.
- Must be physically able to climb stairs, carry boxes, lift, and reach.
- Basic Food Handling and First Aid CPR training.
- Must be available to work some evenings and weekends
The Peterborough Historical Society and Hutchison House Museum is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and detailed resume by email no later than August, 26, 2022 to i (attention: Erin Panepinto). Interviews are to be scheduled for the week of September 5, 2022. Interviews for this position will be held via Zoom.
We thank all applicants who apply for this position, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information collected, will be used for the purpose of candidate selection only.