About the Peterborough Historical Society
The Peterborough Historical Society respectfully acknowledges that, here at Nogojiwanong, we are on the treaty and traditional territory of the Michi Saagiig Anishinaabeg. We are grateful for their rich history and continuing care for, and teachings about, the land that they have shared.
The Peterborough Historical Society is a not-for-profit organization and registered charity incorporated in the Province of Ontario. It owns and operates Hutchison House Museum, located at 270 Brock Street, Peterborough, Ontario, Canada.
The PHS promotes and generates public interest in local history through education and engagement in a variety of services and activities:
- Produces a monthly Bulletin with articles of historical interest
- Holds monthly public meetings with historical presentations
- Publishes books on historical subjects and a yearly Occasional Paper
- Presents several annual Heritage Awards in the community
- Presents annual history awards to deserving high school students
- Installs historical plaques in the City and area
- Supports several outreach ventures
- Advocates for the preservation of heritage and contributes to the development of public policy
- Engages the community in important dialogues with Peterborough’s past through exhibits and programs